Wednesday, August 25, 2010

How to become a children’s writer

The advise I am offering in this post is solely based on my own development and growth as a children’s writer. Today I am the published children’s author and illustrator of my debut novel titled “My Fuzzy’s World”. My book is available on Amazon.

I strongly believe that creative writing for children is an art. Either one has the talent and/or one have learn the skills which will help one succeed in this unique craft. I do recommend to do a lot of research and consult several renowned professional children writer’s resources to build your knowledge. This will also motivate one's desire to write for children and inspire the creative mind.

I was always very creative and I loved to write unique and colourful stories as a child and young adult. I never learned the skills for creative writing and for writing children's books. However, I am very creative, have a great passion for writing and a colourful imagination which I love to share with young readers.

Keep in mind that writing for children is also an important responsibility. Clarify what you want to teach your readers and be mindful and sensitive to use age appropriate language in your writing. A children’s story needs to be authentic, engaging and interesting. Basically-unique in its own way.

1. If you like to write -commit to authenticity, creativity and excellence!

2. Research  at least the basics of children’s literature and the difference between children’s literature, children’s classics and books. Familiarize yourself with prominent children’s writers from the past and present and learn what made them succeed, and why some of them created timeless pieces of classic children’s literature.

3. What age  is your target audience you are wanting to write for?

4. Research how children’s books are categorized in age groups.

5. Read some classic children’s literature for the age group you are intending to write.

6. What is the storyline?  Define it and clarify the message of your story.

7. Set a goal in regards to time you want to invest per day/week etc. to accomplish your project.

6. Network with published children's writers on the Internet  and/0r trough renowned local and national organizations.

7. Don’t be too proud to take advise from a professional writer!

8. Have passion for your creative writing and maintain courage and patience to pursue your project!

9. What are you trying to teach the targeted age group?

10. Ensure your story is suited for your targeted age group.

11. Have fun and just go for it! Research your creative mind and ideas.

12. Ask for feedback from family, friends, parents, children of the same age group as well as teachers and librarians.

Life is all about taking a smart risk and having courage to accomplish something important for yourself and others!

I will soon post some children’s writing resources which I recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment